Automation in engineering has changed our lives. And CAD is a modern-day solution for engineers. In this blog, we will discuss about the advantages of CAD.
Table of contents
16th and 17th centuries detailed geometry attributed to the development of modern engineering design and drafting. But, engineering designs made a huge leap after the introduction of drafting machines, especially after WWII.
During the second world war, significant efforts were made to develop real-time computing in engineering. By 1950s, there were many people at MIT whose focused was on developing automation of engineering design. There were particular two people responsible for setting the stage of modern engineering design as we know computer-aided design (CAD).
Patrick J. Hanratty and Ivan Sutherland were the two pioneers that made groundbreaking contributions in the development of CAD.
Patrick Hanratty joined GM (General Motors) research laboratories in 1961 where he developed the first CAD system to use interactive graphics – DAC (Design Automated by Computer)
Ivan Sutherland broke new ground in 3D computer modelling and visual stimulation, which is the basis for CAD. His 1963 Ph.D. thesis at MIT was “Sketchpad: A Man-Machine Graphical Communications System.” It let designers use a light pen to create engineering drawings directly on a CRT.
The innovation of the sketchpad system bought a revolution in design and drafting in engineering as it made creating drawings, editing and changing objects possible on a computer screen.
You can also check our guide to choose best engineering branch for future goals.
Capabilities/Advantages of CAD
Traditionally designing a product requires manual drawing using a paper & pencil. However, manually designing a product can lead to flaws and requires a lot of revision.CAD Softwares make sure designs are accurate and gets completed in shorter time duration.
CAD programs also make sure it is easier to make necessary changes to the design afterwards.
Creating 3D models and generating 2D drawings is faster and easier than ever before.
Also check : 2 days workshop on Geometric Dimension & Tolerance
Although every project is different and many of them are still built using standard parts & materials. For eg. clamping Jigs & fixtures, fastener parts and components. In such instances, engineers assemble parts and components using the different constraints for mechanism design, volume clearance, interference and tolerance.
The parts and assemblies can be created, analysed, improved and shared with others in CAD and it is easier for design teams to collaborate together. You can apply colours, look at the different angles and create rendered images for a life-like experience. This is especially common for displaying virtual models for future products and with improved accuracy, CAD give huge advantages to engineers and modern industries.
A “CAD” design software system is not just a replacement for manual drawings but a revolution in engineering as it brings new opportunities and possibilities for engineers to create better products with fewer errors.
At GNA University you will learn to use the most advance CAD-CAM softwares. Check more details here.
Why every Engineering should use CAD?
CAD is now used widely in engineering and product design industries for years now. An engineer must work efficiently that means to achieve the desired goal in time with fewer mistakes.
Computer-aided design (CAD) software is widely used in Civil and Mechanical engineering. CAD is used in architectural, mechanical, electrical/fire alarm, plumbing/sprinklers, audiovisual, telecommunications, security, the architecture of automobile, aircraft and shipyards etc.
However, some still prefer manual drafting instead of using CAD-CAM software. However, as an engineer, CAD-CAM software makes life really easy.
There are multiple reasons to use CAD and we listing few of them:
- CAD is easy to learn and use
- CAD designs can be replicated almost instantly
- CAD designs can be modified quickly
- CAD files integrate seamlessly with Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) and Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) packages.
- CAD files are more secure than paper drawings
- CAD software provides detailed drawings with more accuracy
Advantages CAD have over technical sketching
It’s easy to see why the engineering industry has embraced CAD. With CAD software, engineers have access to hundreds of incredible capabilities. It is better than the traditional method of manual drawing CAD drawings produce more efficient designs.
Take a look at some of the benefits below…
- More precision and control. Engineers can now analyze and measure each component of their projects. CAD makes the design process far more intuitive and efficient which give more uniformity in designs.
- Faster design execution. Before CAD, if engineers find any faulty design they would have to redraft their entire designs every time. As you can imagine, this would lengthen the design process. In contrast, CAD software enables engineers to make quick modifications.
- Cost efficiency. Engineers no longer have to create a physical prototype for each step of the design process. They can make changes to their CAD prototype and then take their project straight to manufacturing once it has been reviewed. Consequently, engineers can expect lower costs and shorter design completion times.
- Better documentation and collaboration. Every step of the design process can be well-documented with CAD. This prevents designs from being damaged or lost over time. Engineers can save these designs and send them to fellow engineers for collaboration, or to clients for review.
Which CAD software is best for engineering students?
There are many advance CAD tools for engineers and to select one is really difficult. The list below design tools focuses on industrial design that most companies uses.
PTC Creo Inc USA
PTC creo Parametric/Direct Modeling Express is said to be a good 3D CAD software created for product design with short design cycles and thus making it the ideal tool for short-series production runs.
The family PTC Creo 3D CAD include the following version
- PTC Creo Parametric
GNA University is an associated partner with PTC Inc. USA. With 2300+ students globally certified in PTC as we are the only authorized training center (ATC) under PTC University USA in the region.
This Siemens NX, next-generation CAD modeling software is built for the manufacturing industry as it helps with modeling and simulating manufacturing processes and equipment. Siemens NX also offers technical support for the building of digital twin models and provides support for product development. This makes it’s an excellent CAD software for designers, engineers, and manufacturers looking to go-to-market in record time. The features of NX include:
- Multiple toolsets for design, manufacturing, Fibersim, and sketching your ideas.
- Solid modelling, multiple parts and components assembling, mechanism design, mould wizard for casting and plastic components
GNA University is also an associated partner with Siemens PLC and we have around 200 students successfully certified in Siemens SolidEdge. Check GNA University’s Engineers Grabbed Placements.
This CAD software offers multiple product development features for CAD users within the engineering and manufacturing industry. Its suite of tools supports simulation and manufacturing initiatives at a professional level. SolidEdge has also grown in popularity due to the ease of use as it offers an automatic user interface.
- The software comes with tools that enable product conceptualization and prototyping. It also provides support for computer-aided manufacturing.
- Solid Edge also integrates features to support data management, documentation, and additive manufacturing.
- New features of SolidEdge 2020 include support for augmented reality, generative design, and expanded validation tools.
Dassault Systems France
CATIA is one of the leading design software specialized in 3D CAD product design. CATIA is proactively used in the Aerospace, Automotive, Machine Industry, Maritime Equipment Design and home appliances niches. Features of CATIA are mentioned below:
- Mechanical design – Part design
- It is very famous in aerospace, aircraft, automotive and home appliances industry for its Shape design that is known as GSD (generative shape design)
- Jigs & fixtures, functional modelling and integrated with PLM system.
AutoCAD is one of the most popular CAD software out there. The most popular version of AutoCAD are:
- AutoCAD Mechanical
- AutoCAD Architecture
- AutoCAD Civil 3D
- AutoCAD Electrical
- AutoCAD MEP
- AutoCAD Plant 3D
AutoDesk 3DS MAX
3DS MAX is a 3D software for animation, modeling, simulation and rendering. Now you will wonder why AutoDesk went ahead and created 2 CAD software that do the same job. MAYA is merely used in the film industry because studios like to be able to create their own set of tools which can help them to achieve their job much easier.
Revit is a building and construction software. Its principal goal is to allow users (Architect) to build and visualize architectural designs, MEP and structural designs, and it is used mainly in the construction industry. It is specialized in BIM (Building Information Modeling)
GNA University teaches you all the above mention software*. Get more details here.
There is no doubt that CAD has already revolutionised the engineering industry. As one of the top private university in Punjab, GNA University provides focused and on point education while using world quality software and infrastructures. We’ve multiple MOU’s signed with many international universities such as PTC University USA and many more.
With thousands of students already trained and placed in reputed companies worldwide, GNA university also awarded as the “best emerging University in India”. Our Faculty of engineering, design and automation helps students to lay down the founding stone of a great future and make them ready for Industry 4.0.